Portland Investment Counsel Inc. has the following opportunity:
Investment Analyst/Associate Portfolio Manager
Assist with the following functions:
- Screen for investment opportunities using quantitative and qualitative criteria.
- Perform thorough bottom-up analysis of investment opportunities and keep current with investment holdings and prospective holdings’ related developments
- Collect and analyze company data from a variety of sources (annual reports, press releases, broker reports and other company documents), in order to monitor current holdings and to identify possible new investments for the funds. Focus on proprietary-type thinking and analysis.
- Develop models for current holdings with the goal of identifying the "drivers" of the business.
- Participate in conference calls/analyst meetings for current or prospective holdings.
- Meet with management of current and prospective holdings to research the strategic direction of the companies.
- Maintain knowledge level on current holdings regarding daily news flow.
- Establish relationships with front-line personnel at current or prospective holdings.
- Co-author newsletters, fund briefs, company briefs and fund reports for annual and semi-annual reports, and various other marketing materials.
- Assist wholesale activities by meeting with advisers and clients from across Canada in order to stimulate sales.
- Compiling various portfolio analytics, valuation and regulatory prescribed reports and marketing materials.
- Write company descriptions for Annual and Semi-Annual reports and various other marketing materials such as bulletins, presentation slides etc.
- Monitor portfolio composition, i.e. cash balances, stock weights, regional weightings, industry weightings.
- Liaising with and replying to inquiries from various stakeholders, including the PM team, investors, investment advisors, investee companies and other internal stakeholders.
- Organize corporate due diligence visits/trips.
- Answer questions from marketing department, or outside representatives regarding investment philosophy and other public information regarding the funds.
- New product development activities, including sourcing of opportunities, due diligence, structuring and preparing of the offering documentation.
- Achievement Orientation – A concern for working well or for surpassing a standard of excellence
- Analytical Thinking - Understanding a situation, issue, problem, etc. by breaking it into smaller pieces
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand the business implications of decisions and the ability to strive to improve organizational performance
- Commitment to Continuous Learning - Taking action to continuously learn in order to improve individual professionalism and effectiveness within the organisation
- Expertise - The ability and motivation to expand and use technical knowledge or to distribute work-related knowledge to others
- Information Seeking - Driven by an underlying curiosity and desire to know more about things, people, or issues
- Teamwork and Cooperation - Works cooperatively with others, to be part of a team, to work together, as opposed to working separately or competitively
- Bachelors Degree/College Diploma required,
- CFA charter or progression towards obtaining one is strongly preferred.
- CAIA and/or CBV designation or progression towards one are considered assets.
- Previous experience with private and alternative investment strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all Microsoft office programs, such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel proficient.
Qualified applicants should email resumes along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Portland Investment Counsel Inc., we support diversity and equity. We strive to provide a workplace that is recognized as inclusive for all, regardless of ethnic origin, nationality, language, religious beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability.
We respect the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. If contacted for an interview, please inform us should any accommodation be required.