Portland Investment Counsel Inc. has the following opportunity:
Investment Associate Trainee
Start date May 1, 2022 or later
Privately owned by Michael Lee-Chin, Portland Investment Counsel Inc. is an Investment Fund Manager, Portfolio Manager and Exempt Market Dealer. Built with integrity, we have a reputation for being owners, operators and investors in excellent businesses globally. We invite you to become a part of this strong entrepreneurial environment which will provide you with challenges and opportunities leading to your professional growth and personal development.
In addition to the key responsibilities listed below, you will be part of a rotational training program designed to give you exposure to Portfolio Management, Client Management and Data Management.
Scope and skills:
This position supports all sales, investment, finance, accounting, strategy, risk, compliance and portfolio management initiatives. An understanding of excel and aptitude for coding is initially preferred and will ultimately be required to succeed in all placements across the organization.
- Collect and analyze company data from a variety of sources (annual reports, press releases) in order to monitor current holdings and to identify possible new investments for the funds including key considerations and risks.
- Develop models for current holdings with the goal of identifying “the drivers” of the business.
- Provide portfolio managers with current information about market forces, trading volumes, and price movements
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of real-time developments in global financial markets
- Assist the trading team with updating client portfolio models and handling the settlements of portfolio transactions.
- Update and build portfolio management, client and data systems across the organization.
- Assist with the preparation of annual and semi-annual reports, marketing presentations and blogs.
- Update and build Customer Relationship Management data to support all sales activities
- Support and uphold regulator and compliance standards and required monitoring
- Answer inquiries from outside representatives regarding investment philosophy and other public information regarding the funds.
- Update and maintain Customer Relationship Management data to support dealer sales activities
- Help organize portfolio reviews with clients
- Support and uphold suitability and compliance standards towards all clients of Portland Investment Counsel
It is expected that the incumbent will successfully complete the following courses; the cost of which will be reimbursed by Portland Investment Counsel Inc:
- The Canadian Securities Course
- Conduct and Practice Handbook
- Trader Training course
- CFA Level 1, 2 and 3
- Undergraduate degree with a background in business administration, commerce, economics, mathematics, statistics, computer science and/or data science.
Please submit your application along with your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
We respect the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. If contacted for an interview, please inform us should any accommodation be required.